So we’ve been given a diagnosis.
It’s a diagnosis for what is happening in Scooby right now. Just before Christmas he was due his fourth chemo infusion but he couldn’t have it because his platelets were slightly low. We went back the next week and they were still low which put the doctors in a quandary about what to do. The plan was to try again the week after but on the 1st January (I know – what a great way to start the year) his hand became red and swollen. We took him into the local hospital and he was treated for cellulitis. He came home on Jan 4th (Turtle’s birthday) but a few hours later had a soaring temperature.
Richard got one of his feelings that things weren’t quite right, and as his intuition on Daniel’s condition has been 100% right so far, we decided to skip the local hospital and take him straight down to Manchester. Within a few days more soaring temperatures, even weirder blood results and an increase in seizures told us he was getting worse again. The decision was made to stop the chemo, and we were gutted. We’d pinned our hopes on it and now we were back to square one. On the two year anniversary of his first hospital trip, exactly the same investigations were being repeated yet again. Blood tests, organ scans, lumbar puncture, MRI, bone marrow sample – he was given the works. But this time they found something that wasn’t there before. All the symptoms added up to something.
Richard rang me on Thursday – the day we were due to swap over anyway and told me to be down in Manchester for a meeting for a possible diagnosis. I couldn’t get down there fast enough but I didn’t dare hope just yet. As much as we’d wanted a diagnosis, there had always been an element of hope in the fact that nobody had ever said the words ‘terminal’, ‘incurable’ or ‘degenerative’ to us yet, and although this time (as well as the previous time in September) I was preparing myself for the worst, I still didn’t want to hear it said by someone as fact.
Our consultant was able to tell us what he knew that evening, but we had to wait until the next day with the other specialist to get the full picture – which gave us time to Google the condition (is that a bad thing or a good thing?).